Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide
This guide is also available as a PDF
This Quick Start Guide will give you a great start with Highlight but you may need further assistance or more detailed help.
In addition to the Help & Support Centre you can get help in the following ways:
The quickest way to get help in Highlight is to use our contextual help pop-ups, opened via the orange question mark buttons found throughout Highlight. Contextual help gives you specific information for the Highlight element you are looking at and also, if needed, a link to detailed documentation.
If you prefer some personal assistance you can contact your support team who will be able to help you with any issues or questions. Click the user menu side bar then Domain contact details for your service provider's support team details. Alternatively, click About in the same menu for Highlight's support team details.
Main navigationUse the main area buttons and tabs to select your view
Network ExplorerSelect your location in the network
Location barDisplays the current folder/location and path; on the details page the name of the watch is also shown
Main contentShows the selected view - in this case the status of your network locations and services
User menuChange your password or log out; quick links to Highlight pages and Support, plus Domain and version information.
See your entire network as folders and locations
Can contain locations and subfolders
- Use the triangle to expand/collapse a folder. Note: clicking on a folder or location opens the Status Heat Tiles page for that folder or location.
- The number of devices if greater than 1 in or below this folder, for details see Reporting Inventory.
- Grey indicates a folder with no activated devices. Note: there may be devices in Pending awaiting activation.
Contain individual monitoring tasks (watches)
- Grey indicates a location with no activated devices. Note: there may be devices in Pending awaiting activation.
The following options are available:
- Collapse the tree
- Expand the tree (only visible if the tree is collapsed)
- Find locations or folders, and devices by name or IP address
Watch the Search video
- Refresh the tree (only appears on hover) which updates it for folders or locations that have been added, changed or removed
- Close all open folders (only appears on hover)
- What's new
- Click to see new features in place of the usual tree of folders and locations. A red background dot indicates new information is available. Once viewed, the red dot disappears until the next update.
- Opens an on screen simple message for passing information to the system provider
Favourites Use the star icon in the title bar to add folders or locations to your favourites. This pins them to the top of the Network Explorer tree. Find out more about Favourites.
Watch the Favourites video
Highlight uses heat tiles to show you an instant overview of your network and services.
Heat tiles represent the current status of each location or service and are a combination of many monitored elements summarised as three key metrics:
Heat tiles are more than a simple traffic light system. They have built in intelligence and work like a fuel gauge. Degraded service drives the colour change through amber to red. Indicators show the duration and state of an issue. Up chevrons show a continuing issue and down chevrons show an issue returning to a healthy state.
Alerts are actions that will trigger immediate emails or traps to notify you if there are problems with your network or services.
Located in the Status area, alerting will allow you to create alerts and define when, how, and to whom notifications are sent.
Specify whether you want notifications outside business hours, who should be informed (mailing lists or multiple email addresses can be configured) and which folders/locations are to be included.
You can create as many alerts as you require.
Also visible on the Alerting page is the sensitivity panel. This shows how quickly Highlight will change the colour of heat tiles and send alerts for stability, load and health issues.
Highlight has a powerful reporting engine that generates fully customisable reports on demand or scheduled via email.
You may want a report that shows all issues and outages for the previous month, in your inbox on the first of the month; or a weekly list of circuits that are overloaded sorted by the most congested. Create your own reporting template to define only the data that interests you, in the format you want.
Pick the folder or location you are interested in and choose settings and filters for the report. Click for an immediate report or Save & Schedule to remember your choices as a new template or to set up scheduled reports via email.